Search This Blog

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Murder in the Gun Room - review

I recently consumed a reading of Murder in the Gunroom by H. Beam Piper.
This was a deviation from the genre of his work that I have already consumed as this is a post WWII crime story.
No time travel, no dimensional shifts, no aliens. Just a straight out murder mystery.

Despite the lack of the aspects of story telling that intrigue me the most I enjoyed this novel and am pleased I encountered it.

The story creates a fascinating character in the main protagonist (one whom I will not be surprised to encounter again as I traverse the works of Piper further) and sets up a solid situation in which there are many suspects each with motive, means and opportunity.

A quick-witted reader is brought along at such a pace that they can take the logical steps of the protagonist at roughly the same pace as the character itself, allowing for the excitement of prediction on the cusp of realization.

All in all, I highly recommend this novel, particularly in the form that I consumed it: as a Librivox recording.

You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment