Search This Blog

Friday, December 17, 2010

My Brain is Too Busy

Several times over the last two days I've re-touched on the same idea that I wanted to post about for THIS post (which is late). Each time the idea resurfaces at a point in time where I cannot get to a place to type up the idea.

As soon as I get a chance to type the idea I can't find it. My brain has swallowed in into the sea of many ideas that is filling my brain matter.

It's times like this that I contemplate how inefficient our brains are. How I marvel at the idea that we can accomplish ANYTHING at all. How I look up to and respect those that have put a strict mental discipline into play that allows them to have far superior recall than myself.

It also makes me wonder how much more I could do/be if I had a perfectly ordered "file" system for my brain so that each and every thought, idea and memory were perfectly cataloged and easily search-able when I needed the information.

The day is coming where that will be the case, but I don't think it will be through genetics or biological enhancement (at least not at first). It will be through wireless data plans attached to an implant that feeds directly into our brains. We'll think things and have them stored directly into a perfectly storable medium on an external device.

The question is: what format will they be in? Will we have to think in clear, concise langauge? Will imagery and full-motion imagined video be captured? How realistic will it be? Who will own the copyright? What if you imagine scenes/images with people that are rendered as completely photo-realistic but they never happened? How will the legality of that play out? Will the government be allowed free access to your thought-drive?

There are lots of things to think of about this. Would the pros outweigh the cons? How long would it be before it is assumed that your child has a data jack for schooling (removing the ability to freely CHOOSE to have one installed in an informed manner)? How long before they start installing them at birth by default?


This is a very exciting and scary time for many reasons. This is just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment