Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Faith and Religion

It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I have no faith.
It is important to note that "faith" does not necessarily have to be religious in context. "Faith" is, essentially, blind belief in something without evidence to support the belief (or, in some cases, belief against the evidence that supports an oppositional viewpoint).
EVERYTHING I accept as reality is based on evidence leading up to it or based on the idea of giving someone/something the "benefit of the doubt" until they generate enough evidence to confirm or deny that they deserve that benefit.

This is not just applicable to people. It's also applicable to vendors and other organizations. It's applied to concepts and philosophies.

This is why I have troubles with organized religion. They are ALL based on faith of some sort.

Of course, I realized a few years ago that my disdain for certain religions was/is based on assumptions of those religions and on the faith that what I have absorbed through living in the life I live in hasn't been warped or distorted.

In an effort to eliminate this error on my part I have decided to absorb the contents of the core books of several religions.

I am starting with the Old Testament of The Bible (this books is common to both the Jews and Christians) and then I will work into the New Testament of The Bible (Christians) and then I will absorb the Book of Mormon (applicable only to a sub-sect of the Christian faith). After that I will move on to the Holy Quran. If I can find audio versions of many other religious books (including the "banned" books of the bible and alternate books used by alternate variations of the Christian faith I will absorb them, too.

I will post commentary as posts as I am absorbing some of these materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment