Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Holidays

It's been awhile. I've been busy. Real life (mostly work) got in the way of me doing writing.

Yesterday was Easter. As just about everyone knows Easter is a religious holiday.
One of the things about religious holidays is that not everyone celebrates them another is that they are religious.

Yesterday I tried to do some errands and I was thwarted by signs posted to the local Wal*Mart store's front doors. The signs stated that the store was closed in compliance with a state law. This REALLY bothers me because this country is SUPPOSED to have a separation of church and state. That means that there should be NO incidents of law FORCING a store to close for a religious holiday (yes I feel the same way about Christmas). Holidays, such as Thanksgiving and the 4th of July, which allegedly commemorate a historical event directly tied to the origins of the country are one thing (although I don't thing that there should be laws telling businesses they CAN'T be open on those days, either) but those holidays do have direct and non-religious impact to the country itself.

I know many Christians take Christmas and Easter as historically factual, but that is a part of their faith and even if they are both historically factual they are not directly related to this country (indirectly, of course).

I mentioned this in a tweet yesterday as I was thoroughly annoyed that my errands were ALL thwarted by businesses being closed and one of them was closed because of legal obligations. I was surprised to find that someone took offense to my annoyance. Someone took offense to my opinion that the law shouldn't be involved with this issue.

Our country was founded on an ideal of no religious persecution and having ANY law that supports or enforces ANY religion is a failure in that concept. That is my major offense to Easter: the idea that the law is NOT separated from the church when it is allegedly separate in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment