Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

On Bionics

So this post is sparked by negativity but I am am choosing to look at the bright future.

I have some back issues. Today is a day that I am very much well aware of them. I could complain about that but, instead, I'm going to discuss how this might be fixable in the future.

We're on the edge of many revolutionary advances involving biology. I read articles nearly every day where some lab has discovered something new. I believe the rapid change in medical science right now will lead to a fundamental change in the understanding of how we work in the next ten years. The change will be as great to medical science as General Relativity was to physics.

The outcome of this fundamental shift will be applied bionics. People will have robotic enhancements and/or gene grafting and/or cloned replacement parts made from their own tissue. This will allow us to live longer, stronger and healthier lives.

Why do I want this? Because I want a new back that NEVER complains to me for no reason. I want a back that won't complain when I try to shovel appropriate amounts of snow. I want a new back that is better, faster and stronger than the one that I currently have.

That's the benefit of bionic technology: better overall quality of life for longer periods of time.

The downside is Griff Tannen from Back to the Future II: a bionically enhanced bully who is tougher than he should be. The cost of making lives better for everyone is that some of "everyone" will use that ability to make lives worse for people around them. This, of course, is not a new behavior as we have bullies now and that is something we need to keep in mind when my back replacement is ready.

I intend to go to BionicMart, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment