Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2011

More on Faith

I, personally, have seen no evidence of any omnipotent being other than an occasional alignment of improbable events in either a favorable or unfavorable way. This, however, does not mean that such a being does not exist. I can accept this and I can live with the realization that I can NEVER know if such a being exists. I am amazed, though, by the people who have an inability to comprehend this notion. Some of them have faith and feel sad for those of us whom have no faith. Others, however, feel a need to push their faith onto us in an effort to make us believe. Those whom have a solid faith of their own are people whom I respect and, honestly, envy. If their faith brings them some form of peace and provides them with a resolution that this world matters and/or brings them a form of happiness I am more happy for them than they could possibly know. The problem with seeing no evidence for such a being means that it is impossible to have raw faith in such a being. It is impossible to have faith that there is meaning in the world and it is impossible to have faith that there is something beyond this world. My lack of faith means I see the world as a raw accumulation of data and evidence. It is this that I believe in; not things which I cannot measure. Recently I have been having conversations with friends on this topic. Each and every person that I consider a friend whom I know their religious stance on falls into two categories. The first is a category of people like myself who lack and serious and solid faith in a supernatural entity. The second are those of faith who NEVER push their faith onto others. I find this extremely interesting as I choose my friends carefully and I choose people whom I consider good people to be my friends. Conversely I choose to avoid people whom I consider to be bad people. Many of the people whom I know and deliberately avoid are people of faith. They are people who push their faith on others and whom choose to use their faith as a shield to be judgmental against those who are different from themselves. The people whom I choose to avoid seem to be people who would push their religion onto others and cry that they are being oppressed when anyone tries to present a different idea to them. They are, in short, hypocrites as their religions all preach tolerance and acceptance. The people who I avoid because I find them intolerable are being whom abuse their fellow man. I have heard it said MANY times that people who lack faith MUST be bad people and have NOTHING to guide their moral compass. My questioning response to that alleged axiom is simple: How is it that I know so many people who have such little faith whom are good people and generous and kind and yet I have met so many people who preach their religion to others who are the opposite of that? If people who lack faith are inherently evil how is it that they are tolerant of people of faith and yet do good for the sole purpose of doing good? If people are doing good for the raw purpose of improving the world how are they WORSE people than those who do good ONLY because their religion tells them they must to be good people? If I can choose between right and wrong without a religion telling me which is which why is that a bad thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment